2017-2018 MAIL PROCEDURES
Regular Mail (mail that is processed through the mail machine):
- 1:00 p.m. is the deadline for bringing mail to the ESC.
- ALL BUSINESS ENVELOPES SHOULD BE STACKED NEATLY WITH FLAPS FOLDED DOWN (not tucked in). NO V-SHAPED ENVELOPES.
- All mail should be as flat as possible and folded so that the letter does not come above the envelope flap. If contents are not all the way down, mail machine cannot seal the envelope properly.
- Use regular sticky labels. DO NOT TAPE NON-STICKY LABLES ON ENVELOPES.
- If you are using envelopes that have a “window,” PLEASE make sure all addresses are visible in the window.
- No more than four sheets of paper per regular white business envelope. Bulky mail envelopes are hard to process in the machine. If you have more than four or five sheets in your envelope, place these in a manila envelope. The clasps must be covered with tape and sealed.
- Your building return address and “RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED” must be on your piece of mail.
- Please double check all outgoing mail for errors before it leaves your building.
- LEGIBLE Handwritten mail pieces must be in blue or black ink only and not in all caps. Make sure addresses are written in middle of envelopes.
All manila envelopes need to be sealed and/or taped shut. Also, all clasps on the envelopes must have tape covering them.
NOTE: Our presort mail company gives us cheaper mailing rates, but the mail takes longer to be delivered. Please let us know if your mailing is a rush, so we can send it out regular mail.
Bulk Mail Procedures
All Bulk mailings must go through the ESC Mailroom.
Bulk Mailings are mailings that are sorted by zip and stamped with our Permit No.
A bulk mailing is when you are mailing out the same information to different individuals, such as newsletters. Translated Foreign Languages with same Information can also go with Bulk Mailing. It is not run through the mail machine, but is stamped with our Permit No. (706). Bulk mailing must have 200 or more pieces. Post Cards can also go as Bulk Mail as Letters. It does not include report cards, mid-term reports or individualized letters to parents, etc.
- Regular letters must be sealed or taped shut.
- Post Card size is Minimum is 5” long by 31/2” high, Max is 6” long by 41/4” ALL POST CARDS MUST BE THE SAME SIZE. Rubber band into bunches by zip codes.
- Newsletters need two pieces of tape on top, “1” inch in from each top edge. They can have one piece of tape on the right hand side also, but if they don’t this is ok, the top ones are the most important to have on. If there is a staple on the side, put a piece of tape over it.
- Return Address – All mail should have the Waterloo Community School District Logo and address on it and the school’s name under it, on the upper left hand corner of each mail piece.
Do not forget to send your slip indicating this information. Please stack all mailings neatly. If you are sending a bulk mailing that has been placed in envelopes (regular size 10), those envelopes need to be sealed. All large flat envelopes need to be sealed. If it has a Clasp, you need tape over this.
First class mail takes priority, so if you have a large bulk mailing call or e-mail a day before so we can make arrangements. If you have any questions, you can call Karen Fritz, at 10171, between 11:00a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or Linda Armstrong 10104. Please check all mailings before sending it to the ESC.
Sorting by Zip Code
Standard Bulk Mailing
Group 504, 506, and 507 zip codes together. All other Iowa and out-of-state ZIP codes should be in another group.
Large Flat Envelopes
ALL SEPARATE 506, 507, and all other Iowa and out-of-state ZIP codes should be in another group. Rubber band each group together or make sure to keep groups separate.