As stated in the WCSD mission statement “The Waterloo Schools community commits to a comprehensive system of education and support to assure that each and every student will graduate prepared for college, career, and citizenship as evidenced by continuing education, pursuing a career path, and contributing to a community”.
The students we serve come from many different backgrounds, ethnicities, lifestyles and circumstances. We are dedicated to providing the proper supports for all of our students, including those who may be living in homeless situations.
Who is Considered Homeless?
- A homeless child or youth ages 3-21;
- A child who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence and includes the following:
- A child who is sharing the housing of others (includes doubled-up families) due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; is living in a motel, hotel, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; is living in an emergency or transitional shelter; is abandoned in a hospital
- A child who has a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for humans beings
- A child who is living in a car, park, abandoned building, substandard housing, bus or train station, or similar setting; or
- A migratory child/youth who qualifies as homeless because of the living circumstances described above
- Includes youth who have runaway or youth being forced to leave home.
Our job is to remove barriers preventing immediate and equal educational opportunities to any student in a homeless situation by providing continuous enrollment in the school of origin, transportation assistance, dress code assistance, removal of educational fees, etc.
Supporting Students Who Are Homeless Presentation
<iframe src=”https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vTr0TciWNywbnoOexlEg_9Ga1IpZGp3yssgwWrEIpwUTaK11C6lefQd4GAZUODGvPbpo03blrpP5FSu/embed?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000″ frameborder=”0″ width=”1280″ height=”749″ allowfullscreen=”true” mozallowfullscreen=”true” webkitallowfullscreen=”true”></iframe>https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vTr0TciWNywbnoOexlEg_9Ga1IpZGp3yssgwWrEIpwUTaK11C6lefQd4GAZUODGvPbpo03blrpP5FSu/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
Waterloo Community School District Homeless Liaison:
Executive Director of Student & At-Risk Services
Student Service Specialist
Individuals may also feel free to contact the building Counselor or Family Support Worker (elementary only) for confidential support and assistance.