Volunteering with Waterloo Schools
Thank you for your interest in volunteering your time or talents with the students, faculty, and staff of the Waterloo Community School District! We value the dedication, energy, compassion and time of each volunteer, as they work to enhance the educational experience of our youth.
You may complete the Volunteer Application form digitally here. Upon completion of the application, you will also provide us permission to complete a background check.
Our volunteers serve in multiple roles in our schools — many serve as mentors, while others serve as tutors, Partners in Education or parent volunteers.
Two Specific Programs:
- Prime Time volunteers — an opportunity for those who are 55 years or better — who serve as Reading Buddies Mentors and classroom helpers.
- The Job Foundation’s Financial Stewardship Mentoring Program is committed to ending financial disadvantage and to equip children for financial success. Mentoring tutors meet each student weekly or twice monthly to provide academic tutoring and mentoring. For more information go to http://thejobfoundation.org/
1. Complete the Volunteer Application form digitally here. Upon completion of the application, you will also provide us permission to complete a background check.
- You will be contacted by the appropriate staff person to discuss your level of interest and address any questions you may have.
- After any necessary paperwork, interviews or screenings you will receive confirmation of your placement and necessary materials (ie: maps).
- Expect to set up a date and time to become oriented to the building you will be volunteering in or program you will be volunteering for.
More Information Regarding Background Checks to Volunteer with WCSD:
As you know times have changed – making it more challenging for school districts to provide a safe environment for our students.
The reality today is that more and more places that allow volunteers to work with children are doing background checks or other screenings to ensure the safety of the children AND the adult volunteers. In many local churches, for example, it is commonplace for a background check and reference checks to take place before someone can volunteer in Sunday School.
Similarly, Waterloo Schools wants to do what’s best for kids and implement a more thorough vetting process for its volunteers.
It is certainly not required, but donations will be accepted if you would consider paying a small fee to cover your own background check (cost is $12.00). Please make any donation check out to Waterloo Schools.