I am thrilled you have chosen Waterloo Schools for your child’s education! Each fall I anxiously await the opportunity to work with students, parents, the community, and our 1600+ employees as we focus on our mission:
The Waterloo Schools community commits to a comprehensive system of education and support to assure that each and every student will graduate prepared for college, career, and citizenship as evidenced by continuing education, pursuing a career path and contributing to a community.
Our focus is to help students become productive global citizens. As students prepare for life after high school, they will have opportunities and challenges their entire lives. They will need to think globally, whether they stay in the Cedar Valley or choose a career across the United States or around the world. Our goal is to ensure students have limitless choices in their future by providing a spectrum of programs, opportunities and services throughout their PK-12 education.
To prepare them for success:
- We have a broad and deep range of challenging classes, taught by great teachers. Our curriculum encompasses extensive college credit options (both advanced placement and dual credit courses), STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Manufacturing); International Baccalaureate®; Career-Based pathways; cross-curricular opportunities and project-based learning. These classes and programs all use advanced technology to engage students in active learning.
- Our students learn leadership,and experience hands on, real world situations, beyond the traditional classroom. To date, eleven of our schools have initiated the Leader In Me program in their buildings, two of which have earned the distinguished Lighthouse status: Orange Elementary and Hoover Middle schools. Hoover is just the fifth middle school in the world to attain this coveted states and we are so proud of them!
- Our schools are welcoming, supportive environments.
- Our diversity prepares them for success in the national community and global economy.
- Our parent and community involvement has led to even greater educational opportunities for our students.
- Our students have Limitless Choices for college, career, and citizenship.
- We are enhancing our Career Technical Education offerings for high school students at the newly remodeled Waterloo Career Center (WCC), located at the north end of Central Middle School. Currently we offer nine programs at the WCC: Nursing, Digital Graphics, Information Technology, Advanced Manufacturing, Early Childhood Education, Sustainable Construction, Marketing, Digital Interactive Media, and Information Technology/Web & Mobile. We are on track to house 15 programs at the WCC by Fall 2020, so watch for more exciting announcements in the near future!
- We are offering a Dual-Language Immersion class at both Lou Henry and Highland Elementary Schools. In these classes at Lou Henry, students are being instructed half of the day in French and half of the day in English; students at Highland are being instructed half of the day in Spanish and half of the day in English.
We are making great strides forward and are excited about what the future has in store for Waterloo Schools! For additional information about new programs and to stay updated on district events, visit our web page often, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and look for us on YouTube.
All staff at Waterloo Schools are here to serve you and your children. We take our jobs very seriously! We know your children, our students and graduates, will play a major role in determining the future success of our communities and our great country. Thank you for choosing Waterloo!
Dr. Jane Lindaman, Superintendent
|To contact us:
Education Service Center
1516 Washington Street
Waterloo, IA 50702