I am thrilled you have chosen Waterloo Schools for your child’s education! Each fall I anxiously await the opportunity to work with students, parents, the community, and our 1700+ employees as we focus on our mission:
The Waterloo Schools community commits to a comprehensive system of education and support to assure that each and every student will graduate prepared for college, career, and citizenship as evidenced by continuing education, pursuing a career path and contributing to a community.
Our focus in Waterloo is to help students become productive global citizens. As students prepare for life after high school, they will have opportunities and challenges their entire lives. They will need to think globally, whether they stay in the Cedar Valley or choose a career across the United States…or around the world. Our goal is to help unfold futures for our students by providing a spectrum of programs, opportunities and services for their PK-12 educational experience.
To prepare them for success:
- We have a broad and deep range of challenging classes, taught by great teachers. Our curriculum encompasses extensive college credit options (both Advanced Placement and dual credit courses), STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Manufacturing); International Baccalaureate®; Career-Based pathways; cross-curricular opportunities and project-based learning. These classes and programs all use advanced technology to engage students in active learning.
- Our students learn leadership and experience hands-on, real-world situations beyond the traditional classroom. Many of our schools have initiated the Leader in Me program in their buildings, three of which have earned the distinguished Lighthouse Status: Orange Elementary, Hoover Middle School and Expo Alternative Learning Center. Expo is the first alternative school and the only high school in Iowa to attain Lighthouse status. We are so proud of our Leader in Me schools!
- Our schools are welcoming, supportive environments.
- Our diversity prepares them for success in the national community and global economy.
- Our parent and community involvement has led to even greater educational opportunities for our students.
- Our students have Unlimited Choices for college, career, and citizenship.
- We continue to enhance our Career Technical Education offerings for high school students at the Waterloo Career Center (WCC). We have multiple business partners and currently offer 16 career pathways: Advanced Manufacturing; Culinary; Digital Graphics; Digital Interactive Media; Early Childhood Education; Electrical Construction Trades; Emergency Management; Financial Services; Health Careers; Information Technology-Web, Mobile & Cyber Security; Marketing Management; Medical Laboratory Technology; Plumbing Technician; PK-12 Educator Preparation Program; Sustainable Construction and Design; and Tourism & Hospitality. Just this past spring our Board of Education approved an additional expansion at the WCC to further meet the growing needs of our students.
- We are offering a Dual-Language Immersion class at both Lou Henry and Highland Elementary Schools. In these classes at Lou Henry, students are being instructed half of the day in French and half of the day in English; students at Highland are being instructed half of the day in Spanish and half of the day in English.
- We are a 1:1 Technology district, recognizing the role that technology can play as a tool to enhance instruction.
We continue to make great strides forward and are excited about what the future has in store for Waterloo Schools! For additional information about new programs and to stay updated on district events, visit our web page often, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and look for us on YouTube.
All staff at Waterloo Schools are here to serve you and your children. We take our jobs very seriously! We know your children, our students and graduates, will play a major role in determining the future success of our communities and our great country. Thank you for choosing Waterloo!
Dr. Jane Lindaman, Superintendent
|To contact us:
Education Service Center
1516 Washington Street
Waterloo, IA 50702