EAST HIGH STANDARDIZED DRESS CODE
The dress code does not allow for clothing with colored trim, stripes, check or plaids, embroidery, decoration, etc. It also does not provide for jeans, overalls (overalls with pants or shorts), sweat pants, knit pants/skirts, leggings, etc. A very small logo, 1” or smaller is acceptable on otherwise approved clothing items.
Other Dress Code Rules:
• A belt is required only if pants do not stay up. No decorative belt buckles. Belts must be plain brown or black.
• Shoes must be closed-toe, safe, and appropriate. No flip flops, sandals, slippers or wheelies.
• Clothes must be appropriate size, with waist of garment worn at student’s waist.
• Clothing that is too tight or too loose is not appropriate for school.
• Undergarments must not be visible.
• School administrators will determine if clothing is appropriate for school and
complies with District rules. For more specific information on the student dress code, please refer to the Code of Student Conduct.
List of Acceptable Clothing
Tops: Any color
• Must have long or short sleeves; no sleeveless shirts allowed
• Must have a collar except on designated days
• Knit polo-type, Oxford or woven dress shirts, blouses, turtlenecks
• Waterloo and East High School t-shirts are allowed
Bottoms: Any solid color (solid)
• Knee-length or longer shorts, slacks, skorts, skirts, skirted jumpers
• Must be plain, solid-color twill, corduroy or cotton fabric
• No blue jeans, leggings or sweatpants
• No carpenter style, patterns, rivets, large brand tags, or strings. Cargo pants/shorts are approved.
Jackets, sweaters, vests, fleece jackets, hoodies: Solid colors approved
A jacket or cardigan may be worn during the day if it meets regular dress code rules
• May not be disruptive, distracting, display offensive language/symbols, etc.
• School staff may ask students to remove jackets
• Any type of jacket or pullover garment that is worn all day (sweater, sweater vest, sweatshirt) should:
- have a collar OR be worn with a collared uniform shirt
- must be solid color (school sweatshirts are acceptable)
- must not have any colored trim, pattern, decoration, etc. (small logos 1” or smaller are acceptable)
- Hoodies are allowed but the hood cannot be worn in school
On very cold days, students may need to wear outer garments, etc. over their school clothes on their way to/from school. However, any clothing that doesn’t meet dress code requirements must be removed and stored before school begins.
*Exceptions to the uniform will be made for students with IEPs, religious beliefs, JROTC uniforms, or health conditions that require accommodations.
Updated 9/09/22 SAJ